10 Tips and Tricks for Recent Graduates
- Be open to internships or free work to get your foot in the door and learn. Experience is much more valuable than salary.
- Don’t be above anything. Entitlement is the biggest turnoff to an employer.
- Send a personal message to five people a day to start building your network. You never know where a simple message can lead.
- Clean up your social media.
- Have a 60-second “elevator” pitch ready to respond to the ubiquitous first interview question: “Tell me about yourself.”
- Find a mentor.
- Have three PROFESSIONAL references prepared and communicate to each of them that you are using them as a reference.
- The first step to a job hunt should be calling an employment agency (Service Specialists!) We can guide you, give resume advice and interview tips. We are your advocate in this process and have a lot better chance in getting you in front of the right opportunities. (And it’s for free!)
- Be a sponge. Your fresh eyes are valuable to an employer. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- STAY CONFIDENT! The process of finding a job can be frustrating and even scary with a lot of unknowns. Persevere and trust the right door will open for you!
Are You a College Grad Looking for Your First Job?
Contact Service Specialists. We place new graduates in their first professional positions after college.